Student Rights

Free legal help for students, parents & caregivers

Challenging a suspension, exclusion or expulsion

What can I do if my suspension or exclusion/expulsion was unfair?

If you don’t accept that your suspension or exclusion/expulsion was reasonable, you have a number of options:

What’s the most effective way to challenge a board’s decision?

Asking the board of trustees to reconsider is likely to be the fastest and most effective way of changing the board’s decision. With the other options explained above, it may be a number of months – even years – before the decision is changed, assuming you have a good case.

In particular, asking the board to reconsider its decision will be the appropriate option if the board didn’t have some important information when it made its decision, or if you have a reasonable argument that the process the board followed was somehow unfair.