Student Rights

Free legal help for students, parents & caregivers

Complaining about privacy or information issues

What should I do if I have a complaint about privacy?

If you have a concern about a privacy issue, you should contact the school first and speak with the school’s privacy officer. You should tell the school what you would like done to help put the matter right – for example, you might want an apology, or to have inaccurate information corrected.

If you’re not satisfied with the school’s response you can then complain to the Privacy Commissioner, who can decide to investigate. This service is free, but may take several months.

For contact details see “Useful contacts”.