Student Rights

Free legal help for students, parents & caregivers

Fixing problems and making complaints

It’s usually a good idea to try to resolve your problem within the school first, as there’s likely to be an ongoing relationship between you, your child and the staff.

It can be helpful to discuss your issue with someone else – a friend, family, or someone from the Student Rights Service (0800 499 488).

If you’re unhappy with the school’s response, you may want to take your complaint to an outside organisation – see page 132.